Monday, December 22, 2014

Introducing and getting in to and working on the newly aquired vintage travel trailer

Of all the things that I could say , I can do, or show, and think I could follow the rest of the blogs and sites and just develop a
cookie cutter write up and typical pictures and etcetera and feed regurgitated slop and hope to keep people coming back to read
what I write and see my perspective on things. But I hope, don't like to believe that people are blindly following the crowd. If you were, you
wouldn't be looking for alternative ways to live, survive and hope to thrive. No, you aren't following the crowd, you aren't following
the masses and you aren't waiting to be lead to anywhere, you are wanting to step up and find your own path just as I do. We want to
survive and thrive separate from the pack and break away under our own terms. Which is why I do not follow the rest and just re-print
things that have been done over and over. I only want to take you with me to see what I see and hear what I hear. My writing does take
different paths but don't we all? Each of us are unique and different and are proud, and deserve to be so.

I know myself since starting this blog and I was just beginning to research and learn the survival resources and options. I have learned and found out so much and as I continue,
I can prepare and present to all of my readers a more thought out and include my findings and more, bringing a presentable post, but enough of
my rambling, on now to my original intended post!

The first of a few things that need repaired in this new (to me) 1970 Monitor RV travel trailer
 before beginning the later on self-sustaining
status are furnace heat circulation blower motor inside the fan cage. as well as directly above it is the range with a non working oven but
a fully working stovetop and all 4 burners completely operational which tells me that I am getting LP to the entire range which has no
separate shut off valve between the oven so after trying to light the pilot and with closer attention I see a wisp of fuel tring to ignite
but it is not carrying enough to hold a constant flame making me believe there is a blockage or restriction limiting the tubes to that point.


So with the age and use of the Range and appliances
I assume that the very used system could have developed minor deterioration and build up
from lack of regular "spring" cleaning and a routine maintenance. In order to remove the furnace, the range above it has to be removed to
allow upheaval of and easy access  through the cabinetry.


So I guess I am getting a two-for one removal and re-installation process. I was
able to locate and write down the Serial and model#s and manage to find one of the aftermarket reproduction companies I had mentioned a couple
days ago ( http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/ ), http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-furnaces/rv-furnace-parts-instr.htm has a model# lookup which informed me of the BTU output at being a 17,600 BTU output cap which is
impressive for a camper of this age and size especially more than enough for keeping this camper warm and toasty on the coldest and harshest nights
especially after I update the seals, newer insulation, and wiring from the original and very outdated fiber braided 14-2 wiring to new 2014 12-3
(12 gauge to more safely carry the current over the smaller 14 gauge with less loss, and 3rd wire for outlet ground) newer and updated safer house
wiring all through it.

In my search for the model number I also noticed the large amount of components and replacement parts for so many of the older furnaces,
stoves and refrigerator including my current project camper with the Suburban Model #NT33CDS 17,600 BTU floor ducted system which will
soon be insulated as well to further carry the heat through to the rest of the camper. I believe I will begin with the range before
accessing and struggling to pull the furnace so as I have one appliance out and begin its repairs and to avoid mixing of confusing
of removed parts, I will begin to clean with my personal favorite and HD instant tar, fuel and oil remover of B-12 Chemtool carburetor
cleaner and repair the steel and aluminum burner tubes, and burner itself along with the LP tube running to the pilot burn point and the "T"
propane junction to hopefully and effectively bring the pilot and oven back to full working order and hopefully complete the oven repair
with just a thourough cleaning and no additional parts needed. Upon completion and full cleaning of the range I will be able to re-assemble and put
it to the side until final re-assembly and progress to the furnace and get it on the surgical table for it's repairs.


Once I remove these components and begin the tear-down and cleaning up I will take photos of the before, during, and discovery during
the tear-down and what I may find through the process that may contribute to the restrictions and failure of the oven as well as the
repairs and final assembly and operation of the appliances, sealing, and final cleanup of them to not only show the processes but
identify and explain the components and take you through the removal step by step

 -- Until next time- be safe, aware, and Happy Prepping!

*Note: I am not and have not been paid, or promised any compensation in any way for mentioning my resources and cleaning methods in these 
repair ventures, I only mention and include them so you my be able to duplicate similar results  on your own attempts.
For your safety always be aware and never Work on LP or any flammable systems in a closed environment, near an open flame or near any 
spark. Always make sure to shut off any electricity supply, close all gas valves, and safely purge any remaining gasses with full air 
ventilation and circulation.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous, and respectful. I have readers from all over the world, and of all ages. :)